Lesson – Separating Salt and Pepper with Static Electricity Lab
Title: Separating Salt and Pepper with Static Electricity Lab
Grade Level: 5th Grade
Duration: 15 Mins
How does static electricity work?
- Piece of Wool, Carpet, or Hair
- Blow up two balloons.
- Rub each balloon on your hair, a carpet, or with a piece of wool for about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Sprinkle some salt onto a plate or tabletop.
- Bring the charged balloon near the salt.
- What happened? Why?
- Now, sprinkle some pepper onto the table so that you have a mixture of salt and pepper.
- Do you think you might be able to separate the salt from the pepper?
- Bring your charged balloon near the pile of salt and pepper particles.
- What happened?
- Which pieces were picked up more easily?
- Is this a good way to separate salt and pepper if they accidentally get mixed?