Lesson – Scavenger Web Quest
Investigate and describe some basic forms of energy, including chemical, electrical,electromagnetic, heat, light, mechanical,nuclear, solar, and sound energy.
Language Arts: LAFS.5.RI.3.7
Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
- What is energy?
- Why is it important to have different forms of energy?
Energy is the ability to do work. It gives us light and heat and provides us with electricity that enables us to cook our food, operate machinery, and move from one place to another. There a many forms of energy and they may be transformed (changed) from one form to another.
Forms of Energy:
- Chemical Energy
- Electrical Energy
- Thermal (Heat) Energy
- Light Energy
- Mechanical Energy
- Nuclear Energy
- Sound Energy
- What is energy?
- How is energy used?
- In what ways is kinetic energy different from potential energy?
- What are the forms of energy and what is the impact it has on our daily lives?
- What are some sources of chemical energy?
- What happens to the flow of electricity if the circuit I opened?
- What happens when an object gains or transfers heat?8
- What is our main source of light energy?
- How is mechanical energy different from the other forms of energy?1
- How does nuclear energy work?
- Do the pros of nuclear energy outweigh the risks?
- How do sound waves through different mediums?
- Controlled Inquiry/Small Groups – Activity – Scavenger Web Quest
Forms of Energy – Scavenger Web Quest
You have just been hired as an Energy Systems Engineer by your local energy company. Your team has been given the task of researching several forms of energy in order to determine which source of energy would be best suited to produce your city’s electrical power. Your team will be given access to a computer and will gather and document data to make an informed decision.
- Computer, tablet, or mobile device with internet access
- Activity – Scavenger Web Quest
- Place students in groups of 2-4. Each student will receive a Scavenger Web Quest Guide.
- Students will work with their team member to navigate through the various websites to gather information.
- Use the provided Scavenger Web Quest Guide to answer all questions.
- After completing the guide, team members will discuss which energy source(s) is best suited to produce their city’s electrical power.
- After they have reached their conclusion. Have them write a short summary of their findings.
Teams will share their summaries with the class at the end of the activity.